This project has a history focus and teaches children about the Second World War including an understanding of the reasons for war, the impact on the everyday lives of people including children and about significant individuals of the period. Children will also learn about the significance of the Swansea Blitz and the social and human impact of it. At the heart of this project children write narrative stories based on historical facts and develop additional skills in using flashback as a technique for telling stories.
In this project the children will learn:
- About the political, social and economic reasons which contributed to WW2;
- About the chronology of events between 1939-1945;
- About the impact of the war on the everyday lives of ordinary
people in Wales;
- About the Swansea Blitz of February 1941;
- About significant people of the time who played an important role in the Welsh war effort;
- About the key aspects of narrative story writing, including flashback;
About how to use a range of sources to find information.